Diary of a Small Asian Medical Student

My little blog about not-very-important things.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Apathetic boring day, and then some.

ap·a·thy
1 : lack of feeling or emotion : IMPASSIVENESS
2 : lack of interest or concern : INDIFFERENCE
leth·ar·gy
1: abnormal drowsiness
2: the quality or state of being lazy, sluggish, or indifferent


Dear Diary,

Today must have been the most boring day in my life. Other than the fact that I really should be doing my packing for my flight on the 1st of February (yes, a full 3 days from now), I feel no urgent need to do anything remotely useful.

The height of my apathy was showcased during my trip to Carrefour(TM). I knew that there was going to be a problem when I entered the complex. The bright lights, the red and gold colours, were making me feel strangely light-headed. Or maybe it was the throngs of people in their ultra-fluorescent clothing (accentuated by the overhead fluorescent lighting) scrambling for 'BEST BUY' items... Bleh, even recreating the scene is giving me a headache.

Here's a snippet of the conversation i had with Mom.

Me: "So Mom, what are you getting?"
Mom (pushing trolley around aimlessly): "I don't know."
Me: "We are heading towards the fresh produce section."
Mom: "And therefore we will get vegetables."

Maybe apathy is infectious.

Even worse, I spent some time pushing some guy's cart around thinking it was Mom's. I didn't realise until the cart owner (young giggly boy) had finished jumping up and down next to me for a good few minutes. I apologised sleepily and looked around for the trolley I abandoned.

Sigh. Must go to sleep now. Must be something in the air. *Cough* *Cough* I hope I haven't caught dengue fever.

Selangor, Malaysia on Alert for Dengue Fever

Malaysia, Jan 02, 2005 - A dengue alert has been issued in Selangor (West Malaysia) and the Federal Territory where 100 suspected cases of dengue are being reported daily. The sudden increase in the number of cases was seen after Hari Raya last month. Hospitals and health authorities have been directed to thoroughly check all people, including children, showing signs of dengue fever. All state and district health departments have been instructed to increase their area inspections and take action against those found breeding Aedes mosquitos. Local authorities in Selangor and Kuala Lumpur have also been enlisted to clean up drains and areas with stagnant water. Between January and September [2004], 8273 people were affected by dengue fever and 360 from dengue haemorrhagic fever. During this time, 38 people died from dengue haemorrhagic fever.

Source #1

Dengue fever usually starts suddenly with a high fever, rash, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and muscle and joint pain. The severity of the joint pain has given dengue the name "breakbone fever." Nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite are common. A rash usually appears 3 to 4 days after the start of the fever. The illness can last up to 10 days, but complete recovery can take as long as a month. Older children and adults are usually sicker than young children.

Most dengue infections result in relatively mild illness, but some can progress to dengue hemorrhagic fever. With dengue hemorrhagic fever, the blood vessels start to leak and cause bleeding from the nose, mouth, and gums. Bruising can be a sign of bleeding inside the body. Without prompt treatment, the blood vessels can collapse, causing shock (dengue shock syndrome). Dengue hemorrhagic fever is fatal in about 5 percent of cases, mostly among children and young adults.

Source #2

Okay, maybe not.

Hey peeps, before I go, here's a link to the Rice Box Project, a fun crash course for learning Cantonese (their words, not mine). The site's only half complete but 3 sets of tutorials are ready for the taking.

The word of the day is:

Yeah, I know the background is off colour; yowz I need sleep, go away and stop nitpicking...
Pin yin : Oi
Definition : Love

2 Comments:

  • At 2:46 AM, Blogger Musashi_J said…

    hey dude ^^ i dunnoe how u got access to my blog (it's private, nobody knows where it is...it's easier to type honestly when nobody is around ya?)

    but i sincerely thank u for the encouragement ^^! it's really cool of u to say something nice to strangers like myself...people dun usually do that u realise ;)

    man! better start packing dude! it's getting closer to date for school! wanna wish u a big fat great year ahead! medical student...may the A's be with u! ^^ keep striving fer the best ya!

    my best pal studies at australia too...lolx! looks like australia produces nice people?? lolx!? ^^""!

    okay! time to run again...do take care of yourself! may our paths cross one day...^^

    Ah jon

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Play Baccarat said…

    Very amusing piece

     

Post a Comment

<< Home