Diary of a Small Asian Medical Student

My little blog about not-very-important things.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Medical school an expensive luxury?

Being an international full-fee paying student is definitely not fun if you're not from a multibillionaire family (A$30+K a year!). But some people just have to make it worse. The comments I have heard range from:

1. The snarky
"You international students have it easy, the entrance requirements for the more sought-after courses like Medicine and Engineering are lower for full-fee payers. The university just wants your money."

2. The conspiracy-theorists'
"Did you know that examination results for international students get marked up? That's why they get the marks they do despite their lesser understanding of [insert subject here]."

and

3. The frustrated

"International students are bringing down the quality of the university."

Although rants like these don't really bother me, its the comments like:

"You pay how much? That's for the whole course right? WHAT? Each YEAR? So you pay 6 times that?? Do you have a job? WHAT? NO? Hahaha, you're on scholarship right?"

that give me this really large lump in my throat (not globus hystericus) .

I am up to my neck in debts. I calculated that I cannot repay the money I owe even if I work steadily for a full 10 years. Recent articles in the Star have highlighted the fact that the 'trend' for Asian families to push for a child to pursue Medicine, whether consciously or subconsciously, is going to result in a whole generation of disgruntled, destitute doctors in say, 6 years time.

ARGHHHhhhhhHHHh..!!! *tears hair out*

Why didn't I just settle for a nice secretarial job with my excellent typing skills?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Musashi_J said…

    think it this way: they're jus jealous ^^

    Take care and work on!

    we need more medical ppl ya!

    Ah jon

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always believed that Medicine should be a calling. Otherwise, if you were in it for, say, money, you'd be much better off doing something else, because that just wouldn't be a good enough reason to see you through all that Med demands of you.
    I hope you find something in Medicine fulfilling, otherwise it's going to be a very, very long working life. And doctors who are miserable and unhappy about what they're doing aren't going to be the best for patients, I don't think.

     
  • At 4:33 AM, Blogger Coffee Addict said…

    TommyBlog - I've only had it for more than a week. :)

    Hjorthen - Thanks dude!

    Musashi_J - Aiee, the frustration is real. Oya, I found your blog by accident when I was blogsurfing one night. Sorry yah, if I commented on a personal blog by mistake...

    Anonymous@1:01am - Agreed. The money bit is a no-brainer. Perhaps Asian families view it from a different perspective i.e. having a doctor in the family ensures personal healthcare in your old age.

    Anyway, I was just feeling frustrated because of the monetary cost of my chosen profession. No sweat, it happens every year when I'm doing my annual budget. I blame my 'kiamsiap' (frugal) upbringing.

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Musashi_J said…

    lolx! stay cool dude!

    Ah jon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home