Diary of a Small Asian Medical Student

My little blog about not-very-important things.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Happy Easter everyone

This is completely shite! The only treatment available for Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome is Vitamin C! Noooooo!!!! What about my future 10++ postgraduate training years? I'm only 21, I can't be crippled by multiple joint osteoarthritis at this ridiculously young age! Argh! So I am going to end up training in pathology* after all. Dark room, small microscope, bad halitosis. Oh, the horrors.

On the other hand, I've probably got medical studentitis...

Dumb joke.
A young medical student wanted to find the cause of the symptoms of hypochondria so he read three medical text books. The first said that two thirds of the patients were worried about their health so anxiety was the cause, and the second text book said that two thirds of the patients were depressed so that depression was the cause, and the third text book said that two thirds of the patients were obsessesed with illness so obsession was the cause. The student then decided to ask his mathematics professor to help him determine the statistical significance of his findings, and the professor said that two thirds plus two thirds plus two thirds was six thirds or two hundred percent which makes all three medical text books 100% wrong.

*Disclaimer: I like pathologists. They are cool.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry, I know this is a really old post, but I just came across your site. Have you had any luck with the Vitamin C? I also have EDS and have never heard of that as something helpful for it before. I probably should be getting more Vit C anyway, but I was just wondering if you actually saw any improvement in your symptoms from taking it. (And, yes, I know I should go research it myself).

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger Coffee Addict said…

    Hi, sorry this reply is so late, something's gone wrong with the alert system and I havent been checking my blog very often. I'm a medical student and I've been hurting my joints a lot. I'm not quite sure what it is but I can tell you about Ehlers Danlos after the exams if you want. Research has shown Vit C is probably helpful but you never know with these new-fangled 'discoveries'. I take paracetamol for joint pain, and loads of Vit C now that I'm close to getting sick. Not sure if the pctml or Vit C is making the joint symptoms improve. I also tested positive on (almost) all hypermobility tests. what type of EDS do you have?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home