Diary of a Small Asian Medical Student

My little blog about not-very-important things.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Exploding CD - what are the chances?

ARGH!! The original CD I borrowed from the clinical school just exploded in my boyfriend's CD ROM drive! I didn't even get to use the program!

Recap: I slid the CD into the slot, pushed the 'close drive' button. After a few seconds, I noticed that the CD drive was taking unusually long to read the VERY EXPENSIVE ORIGINAL MEDICAL CD(not a crappy generic CD mind you) and started tapping my fingers impatiently. Meanwhile the CD ROM unit was spinning faster and faster (judging by the humming noises)... and then suddenly, it made a loud 'SNAP' and ejected the halfway exploding CD, pieces flying everywhere.

On hindsight, I am thankful that the CPU is on the floor, the exploding CD bits could have flown into my face!

Anyway, just spent the whole afternoon dismantling the CPU / CD ROM drive (Conveniently, the warranty has just expired. Stupid high speed readers) and am very very very behind on my study schedule.

I am looking at the remains of the VERY EXPENSIVE ORIGINAL MEDICAL CD. Boyfriend has given me a small plastic bag to put all the bits in. Oh damn. How am I going to explain this to the clinical school?

EDIT: Apparently this happens quite commonly with 52x CD-ROM units, as evidenced by this article.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Musashi_J said…

    OH MY GOODNESS?!

    ghayyyyy!! what the hell happened!!?!? ahahahaha...*pardon me man! oh man...it was so funny when i read the post! ^^""

    so what's happening? u gonna have to compensate fer the cd? or alrady done...^^? lolx! i tell u, my original game CD also dided in a reader once...

    i heard this HUGE shattering sound and when i pressed the eject button, my poor diablo 2 original cd came out in PIECES. millions and millions of PIECES...u should have seen my face! lolx! *imagines yours...*

    well, taking care! keep updating man!

    Ah jon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home